Thursday 24 July 2014

What's your favourite?

I have been busy having a sort out of my cookery books and thought I'd share a few of my thoughts on some of them with you. Here are some of the ones I use the most, but I have many more to work my way through too, including a very special Laduree Sugar book that I am going to really enjoy exploring when I have some free time. Let me know on here, or on my Facebook page what your favourite cookery books are, I'd love some new ideas!


Jane Bull- The Ultimate Cooking Book- I've had this book since I was a tween and have always loved books like this, full of fun recipes, loads of pictures and I love using ideas from this with my little man.

The Great British Bake Off- Turning Everyday Bakes into Showstoppers- I've not really explored this book yet as it all about making things look fabulous and with 2 little men I don't have a lot of time for fabulous baking, but I am looking forward to exploring it more in the future.

Dave Myers and Si King- The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight- I LOVE some of the recipes in this book. There are loads of low cal tasty meals, and they are easily adapted to veggies like us. My favourites are some of the Mexican inspired dishes as this is our favourite cuisine!

Delia Smith- Delia's Complete Cookery Course- We were given this book as an engagement present 8 years ago and often dip in and out of it. Although we don't often cook lots of 'posh' food or any meat it has lots of great, traditional recipes for things like pancakes, Yorkshire puddings etc.

Nigella Lawson- How to be a Domestic Goddess- This is a very well thumbed book full of yummy treats. I especially like the chocolate brownie recipe and the pineapple chutney. As I flicked through the other day I spotted a gingerbread tray bake made with black treacle that I'm going to try.

Paul Hollywood- Bread- I adore this book as Paul personally signed it to me!! Aside from that, what I also love about this book is that it is full of delicious and interesting bread recipes from all over the world, and after each recipe there is a full meal to use that bread in eg. naan bread followed by a curry recipe, tortillas followed by a mexican tortilla stack recipe. It makes you think about different ways to use bread in meals (not just for lunchtime sandwiches) and has a really wide variety of recipes to follow.

Paul Hollywood- How to Bake- Full of bread and cakes, I have used this book recently to make barm cakes and Christmas swirls. It has lots of easy to follow recipes with clear times for how long each recipe will take (as I'm sure you know bread making takes quite a while). Plus, it has the added bonus of pictures of the lovely Paul.

The Dairy Book of Home Cookery- This book is an oldie but a goodie! My Mum always had a copy of this when we were younger (and still does now) and it is packed with classic recipes for all sorts of cooking! I mainly use the baking section; flapjacks, bread and butter pudding, drop scones etc.

Mary Berry- Christmas Collection- I got this for a Christmas present last year so not had a chance to use it yet. Roll on Christmas so I can get some seasonal, jingly, candy cane bake on!

Marian Keyes- Saved by Cake- You may know that Marian Keyes is more well known as a chicklit author and coloumist but she is also a talented cookery writer. She wrote this book to help her through a period of depression and the book is full of feelgood recipes. I love the self saucing chocolate pudding that doesn't need cream or chocolate (uses cocoa) so can easily be made with cupboard ingredients!

Nigella Lawson- Kitchen- This is a massive book that I am still getting to know. I recently make Mexican lasagne from here which was yummy, and I know there are loads more recipes to try. I need to take some time to sit down and have a proper read through. I might just do that now....

Cathryn Dresser- Let's Bake!- This book arrived today and I am really excited by it. If you don't know Cathryn is a local to me, Mum of 2 who appeared on the Great British Bake Off. I have also met her a couple of times and she is lovely. It is aimed at baking with children and just having a quick flick earlier I have seen LOADS of recipes that I am going to try with my biggest little man. It is split into seasons with recipes suited to each time of year, and I cannot wait to work my way through them with my boy!
xxx


No comments:

Post a Comment