Monday 22 September 2014

Gingerbread!

It is definitely starting to feel Autumnal here in the UK, with chilly mornings and evenings and sunny afternoons. I of course, am thinking about Christmas already and have big plans for gingerbread house building so thought I'd share my favourite gingerbread recipe (I think it came originally from an old Dorling Kindersley children's cookbook, I'm sorry I can't remember which one) with you in case you have a gingerbread house to plan too. I'm going to use this template from BBC Good Food as I've heard good things about it:

Gingerbread

120z/340g plain flour,
4oz/115g butter,
6oz/175g soft, brown sugar,
2 tsp ground ginger,
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda,
1 beaten egg,
4 tbsp golden syrup.

1. Melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a pan over a low heat until melted. Leave to cool for a few minutes.
2. Mix in all the dry ingredients and egg nd combine until you get a wet dough.
3. Tear off a large piece of clingfilm and pour the dough into it and wrap it up. Put in the fridge for half an hour.
4. Flour a surface and turn out the dough. It is quite a wet dough so give it a good flouring on both sides before rolling it out. 
5. Preheat the oven to 190C and grease 2 baking trays.
6. Roll and cut out any shapes you like either using cutters or freehand. They will spread and puff a bit when cooking so leave spaces between them on the tray.
7. Bake for 10-15 minutes until lightly golden.
8. Leave to cool on a wire rack then ice if desired.

Hope you enjoy this scrummy Autumnal/Winter recipe as much as we do.
PS. The raw dough is delicious too!!
PPS. If you are planning on building a gingerbread house there are loads of fab ideas on Pinterest. As I'm making mine with a 3 year old I am not imagining it to look like this but we can dream!!
I love Gingerbread houses. They  make the  house smell so nice. I fell in love with at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville. They have a regional wide Ginger Bread House contest each year and there are some awesome creative ones there. Memories...
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment